Welcome to the webDogTrainer.com Blog!

This Blog is about webDogTrainer.com; a unique, insightful website that features trainer, Julie Bjelland Lokhandwala's online dog training book which includes LIVE chat with the dog trainer! Imagine life with a well-trained dog... Check out the site: www.webDogTrainer.com

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Walking a dog calmly, without pulling

This post is from an email I got from a girl who tries to walk her neighbors dog. She told me that her neighbors are not walking the dog because the dog is out of control so she tries to but is having a hard time.

She writes:
"I try to walk her a lot but I really can't. If I could teach her to be calm and walk more appropriatly maybe they will walk her more. I just need advice. How do I train her? what do I do to make her like the dogs that she freaks out at? ... Why doesn't she like other dogs when shes on a leash? and people too?
----
My response:
That's usually about being frustrated while on leash. Is the dog walked with a leash attached to a neck collar? This can cause aggression in some dogs because the collar is tight on their neck. A much better collar is a head collar called a gentle leader, available at all pet stores or online..it also prevents them from pulling and is known to make dogs calmer. I wonder if you could talk the owners into geting one..should be around $10 or so? The first time you put it on can be challenging because they try to take it off, but just keep them moving and they'll soon forget about it and it makes a huge difference walking them! Maybe if you get good at walking her you can teach them how to. You do not have to have her meet every dog either, that is not important at this point. Just walk her for the exercise and avoid meeting other dogs you are not sure of. I think I'll post some articles you may find helpful on my blog too.
-----
Her response:
Thanks Julie that helps a lot! I walked her today it was great I took my scooter and ran her pretty far she loves to run. thank you for helping me out!
-----
My response:
Great! I'm so glad it is working out for you! Keep up the good work and let me know how it goes!
Julie

No comments: